Wednesday, January 5, 2011

deciphering meluhans : Who gets to decide what is good and what is evil

a very happy new year to whosoever reads the ramblings of this self-professed analyst.. Its been four years writing this blog.. The past four years of my life have been extremely eventful and this blog and its readers, ever dependable companions.. The primary purpose of starting this blog was to write down and channelize my thoughts on topics of relevance. I am no God and yet reflecting on whatever I have written thus far in this blog, I sense a bias.. What good is an analysis if there is a presumed bias.. who am I to decide what is right and what is wrong? why should I castigate someone or something if all they do differ from me in their opinion?? If i dont like like the acting of bhai himesh then maybe I should shut up or if I like a movie why should I praise it?? or if I dont like the events of the past 18 months at my alma mater then I should not vocalize my feelings on a public forum.. I was forced to ponder over these existential questions while reading thie noval called 'Immortals of Meluha' by amish an IIM grad turned writer. The work is a modern take on civilization of the Indus valleys written under the assumption that Indus valley civilization was set up by lord ram and lord shiv was a human of flesh and blood; this work being part one of a trilogy detailing his efforts to save this brilliant civilization.

It is now clear to me that there is no right or wrong. Every human being, by definition has the right to have an opinion and by corollary should have the freedom to express dissent in any form they choose as long as it does not the life and liberty of public at large.. This is the ideal scenario. In this day and age however, there is an omni potent and omnipresent mahadev whose darkest con has been to make itself inconspicuous. allow me to unmask the kalyugi mahadev by using the recent DCE/DTU controversy I blogged extensively about in the last 8 months. This got very personal for me for two reasons. a) I am an alumnus and b) I am an intellectual and my job is to question things. So I blogged and blogged away. I raised some meaningful arguments which was dismissed as double speak and heresey kind of what suryavanshishs did to chandravanshishs in this novel. It is easy to dismiss things as heresay.. people rarely have concrete proofs. I mean comeone, will I ever find a journal entry in Dr P.B. Sharma's personal diary which says "I converted DCE to DTU so that I could get five more years of salary and retirement benefits as the VC of a deemed university" ?? I wish I or any one else was that lucky. While what I and a lot of students parents and alumni chose to say about this conversion can be dismissed as heresay, what CBI has to say about talwars in the arushi talwar murder case is portrayed as solid proof in Indian Media. It is a disturbing trend I have been noticing for the past five years. We dont see the facts being reported. We see the news that we are meant to see, that helps certain quarters while undermining the interests of others. The nira radia expose is a prime example of such misuse of power by the Indian media exercised by selling their ethics to the highest bidder driven by ideological or financial gains. Therefore, in this day and age, the Mahadev or the God of Gods is the Indian Media. The people lap up what they report as the absolute truth and the rest is heresay.. I mean come on.. If they can find the sex tapes of a swami and an actress, I am pretty sure they can find incriminating evidence against errant army generals, IIT professors (one of whom coincidently happens to be on the board of DCE/DTU), bank executives and CWG organizers. but then again, where is the fun or to put in their own/my language, 'TRPs/somras' in that??

In the immortals of meluha, the word of neelkanth is said to be absolute, he is the destroyer of all evil and harbinger of all things good. good or evil, in this day and age, the word of Indian media is absolute. In this kalyug, there is no asura and no deva there is only Indian media..

(Side note : Noticeable achievements of Dr Sharma since 2004 are an autonomous vehicle that still cannot fly autonomously because the students choose to use the evolution boards instead of designing the whole thing from scratch, a bunch of other toys, schematics of which can be found online, a bunch of fake quotas which can be misused for monetary gains by a mere ration card, hiring sub par faculty, starting redundant courses which puts unsuspecting students in a position where they cannot find jobs in their areas of core competency ( his MOUs with third rate IT companies look good for inflated placement rates), starting an MBA program for 60 odd students with three full time faculty members, sitting idle when students were lathi charged(a shameful first in the history of this college), sitting idle when students were being beaten up inside the campus, running an entrepreneurship symposium with a third rate TV bhand at the center of attraction (possibly the first such exposition in the world TBH soon) and so forth. But then again, his doings are far less severe than those of his more powerful contemporaries and hence unworthy of the attention of Indian media. I hope mahadev reads this one day or abandons his thirst of somras (TRPs))

No comments: