Saturday, May 31, 2008

rochester to baltimore: a mini travelogue

I have been in US for two years now. And for some unknown reason havent had any proclivity whatsoever to venture on my own outside the confines of the quaint hamlet called Rochester. It wasnt my inability to do so that limited me but it was my lack of desire to leave the safe confines of Rochester and the fear of facing the unknown beyond it alone shackled me. Couple that with the becalming influence of 6-9 month long frosty winters and rainy season of Rochester and that for me had been a killer dosage to suppress any urges of venturing out.
So this summers when my brother go an internship at John Hopkins, something in me stirred and against all my instincts(or lack of thereof) i offered to drive him down to baltimore. If you look up Rochester and Baltimore on google maps, they are roughly 350 miles apart . The fact that i had never driven alone for more than 20 miles(beyond the confines of rochester) had me both excited and worried. Excited because under the guise of dropping off my brother, this was the perfect chance for me to break those invisible shackles that bound me and live life like it should be lived and worried for obvious reasons.
At the beginning of the journey i was pretty wired for obvious reasons. But the 70 mile stretch on I 390 outside state of new calmed my nerves and soon I began to savor the
pristine landscape of the state of Pennsylvania. What I saw on this journey can perhaps be called the most pristine landscape I have ever seen( the fact that I havent seen much shouldnt take away anything from the beauty of this landscape) . With small gas stations selling cheap gas nested in the lap of the hills to pristine rivers, I saw all in this journey to which I could feel in my bones, a sense of belonging. A feeling that i was close to my roots. The chimps on the trees, the birds on the wire and the men in their steel beasts all seemed together in perfect harmony as if they belong to each other, as if this is how it has been since the beginning of time and this is how it should be till a meteor strikes the earth again wiping out everything only for everything to be rebuilt as it was then. There is not much to describe about the journey as such. I took two stops. On at a subway for lunch and another at a starbucks for coffee. I had my underage brother with me so a trip to wineyards was out question although their charm was irresistible. So all in all driving at 60 miles an hour, i captured as much as i could with my eyes; the beauty, the serenity and the unison of everything.
Someday when i become a better photographer, i will start cataloging memories in digital format. But as far as my first road trip goes, the memories will remain fresh for a very long time.

No comments: